Emerging Market Healthcare Ltd (EMC) is a provider & patient initiative within the base of 200 Black doctors from disadvantaged areas of the Western Cape in January 2003.
The EMC is a genuine South African empowerment story of a home grown enterprise created within the network and patient base of the previously disadvantaged areas of the Western Cape in the face of high barriers to entry within an administrator and hospital dominated healthcare environment. The DFPA is the oldest IPA in the country, having been established in 1984. EMC was established in 2003 when the founding doctor group (DFPA) took the paradigm shift to create a healthcare contracting entity, driven by providers, to control their own healthcare information.
We have become the largest independent DSP nationwide, absent of corporate involvement and any vertical integration with any hospital group. We have a frugal activity based costing mentality, which together with our own proprietary IT infrastructure (managed care, patient based, protocols based) allows for price competitiveness, an integrated DSP development and genuine risk transfer to the general practitioner. The philosophy of empowering the 2 constants in the intangible and heterogeneous healthcare service chain, the patient and the doctor, has underpinned our business approach.
Mission and Vision
EMC is in the business of providing affordable and good quality healthcare service delivery and managed healthcare solutions for patients and providers from the emerging market. EMC aspires to gain a national reputation and standard for providing and managing health care to the emerging market GPs and to be the leading independent DSP in the country, which is authentically GP driven
At EMC, we believe that above all else, our business should place the patient needs and rights first. Hence we must respect the integrity of our profession, the integrity of information we receive and manage the integrity of the patients we serve.
- True independence and lack of any vertical integration to any administrator or private hospital group.
- Proudly a grassroots and primary care driven organisation founded by a group of 250 Black doctors who had the vision to create and develop a managed care organisation from the bottom of the chain upwards.
- Our clear vision that the most important components of healthcare provision are the patient and the healthcare service provider
- Our own information systems platform, that provides the company with the necessary architecture and systems to ensure proper and integrated data management from provider to scheme.
- The absence of corporate shareholder and pressure to deliver shareholder returns
- Our network of the empowered healthcare service providers
- Our authentic BBBEE and SMME credentials
- We differ in the traditional position taken by other organisations on the various oligopolies (including administrators, private hospitals and organised doctor groups) that control private healthcare funding
- We believe the sustainability and development of the affordable healthcare market within medical schemes is mandatory to the eventual and anticipated engagement with the NHI process
Telephone: 021 035 1774
Fax: 086 6363 883
Office: 2 Stilton Road, Wynberg, 7800, Cape Town
For regular updates on the EMC Network, go to: www.emcmobi.co.za
Coronavirus Alerts & Info: www.sacoronavirus.co.za